Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Social Commentary: Hunger Awareness



 

(Above photo)

Date taken: 10/31/2018

LG-TP260 (phone)
Shutter speed: 1/20
F/2.2
ISO:100
Focal length: 3.7 mm
No tripod
No flash













For this project I wanted to comment on the issue of hunger in Billings MT. For the past month and a half I have been coordinating Rocky Mountain College’s annual Halloween for Hunger food drive. This food drive is a non traditional food drive where students and staff go out into the community to trick-or-treat for canned goods that are donated to Family Service and Rose Park Elementary School. Hunger is an extreme issue all over the world, but many people see it as an issue that “happens to other people” and doesnt effect people in their communities. Hunger is an issue that I hold close to my heart as my family has been taking advantage of food pantries and the food bank for years, and I want to be able to give back to people and help people who are in the same situation. In 2018 2,300 POUNDS of food were donated to Family service as well as the Rose Park Elementary school food pantry and backpack program, which helps provide students and their families with food. As far as documenting this
project, I, as well as Shayla Brown and Kim Woeste took photos of the Rocky volunteers before and after they went into the community to collect food. I also took photos of the students who came in to help sort and box up cans so that they would be ready to donate as well as photos of the donations themselves. I wanted to show the sheer volume of food that was donated, as this is food that will be helping feed hungry students and families in the community.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment